Scarecrow Cabin

Scarecrow Cabin

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Rocking Chair Refurbished

I was not sure what to do
with this old Rocking Chair
when we inherited it.



It was fragile and in desperate
need of repair.





The woven seat was brittle, broken
and only partially attached.


The bottom rocker
on the right side was
not attached to the frame
in the front and the hardware
was severely rusted or missing.


We found Randy, a local
furniture restorer
and he went to work
disassembling the chair
and making the repairs.

A couple weeks later,
when the chair was repaired,
we went back to Randy
and choose the color stain
we wanted. 

Randy called to say the
chair was done a few days later.
 

Isn't it beautiful?
We could not believe that
this was the same fragile chair.

The stain color was perfect
and the frame was solid and sturdy.

Now it's time to weave a new seat!

 
After watching several YouTube videos,
I decided on the material and
pattern that I wanted for the seat.

If the people in the videos could
weave a seat in under 2 hours,
so could I right?

I ordered 2 coils of 1/2" flat reed
and watched more DIY videos
about Herringbone seat weaving.

When the reed arrived,
I set-up my workshop in the basement
and started weaving.

I have never work on a project like this
and was nervous and anxious
to see the outcome.

A few hours later,
Our antique rocking chair
is finally completed.

That wasn't so hard, was it?





I don't know the complete history
of this old chair, only that it spent
it's life at my Grandmas home
in the mountains of
West Virginia.


I LOVE IT!

By the way,
Randy mentioned that this chair was used a lot
and someone using the chair leaned to the left
because the rocker on the left side is worn nearly flat.

Thanks for stopping by!
Kelly

  


1 comment: